Guitarstuff4U logo

Guitarstuff4U logo

Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Marz Nova (The Worshyp) interview!

hey listen up all you guitar freaks and geeks, strummers, pickers and finger pickers!
Guitar-stuff-4-you.com has lucked into a short lil interview with singer/guitarist from one of the best new metal bands of 2011. His name is Marz Nova and I was lucky enough to chat with him the other night about his set-up and the debut album(Kingdom Earth) that's available RIGHT NOW!! at iTunes, Amazon.com (both physical & digital) Napster, Zune market as well as their web store  http://www.theworshyp.com So here we go, enjoy! Firstly a little info on the band (lifted directly from their facebook page http://www.facebook.com/theworshyp (god bless copy and paste! heh)

The Worshyp are a Heavy Metal band based out of Toronto, Canada. The bands founder Marz Nova named the band The Worshyp as a salute to how heavy metal fans love, and almost worship, their music as if it were a religion. The name has no ties to any real organized religion. In the spring of 2010 Marz recruited Danish guitarist Thor Rune as well as bassist Mig Diablo & KK Devina both from Peru and former band members of Ex Iron Maiden Vocalist Paul Di'Anno. The band's chemistry is based on strong vocal melodies sang over driving guitar riffs set to today's lower tunings.

In asking Marz for any helpful input he might provide (him being a practicing musician) for the website www.guitar-stuff-4-you.com, Marz had replied,

"I have taught guitar for years. The biggest mistake that I see is that people do not understand how to practice. For me playing what you know how to do is just rehearsing. Practice is learning something new. You should always practice with a click to make sure your meter is perfect. Also practice very slowly. Don't speed anything up until you can do it perfectly. I only practice about 90 minutes per day but I use that time very wisely. I practice what I cannot do. I see improvement with every session. Hope this helps"

I found this to be so helpful that I went on and asked a few more questions.
as our conversation went on, I mentioned the fact that I use GuitarPro to help figure out and learn new songs

Guitarstuff4U: Being a teacher is there any kind of lesson out there that fans might use to learn to play?

Marz Nova: "Personally some of the most helpful lessons that I could recommend are Doug Marks' Metal Method lessons. Especially the theory lessons. There's also tons of stuff on YouTube that is really helpful. I highly recommend learning by ear and checking it with tab, however there is a pile of incorrect tab out there."

Guitarstuff4U: Yah I've run afoul of incorrect tabs too , though i think some of those reports are generated by people who don't know the song is recorded tuned down, so when it doesn't match they think the tab is bad. have you ever used Guitar pro? or seen it?

Marz Nova: "Yes, I love Guitar pro. It's the best bang for your buck out there in my opinion."

guitarstuff4U: Yah, GP is the stuff all right, I've learned a lot of songs with it.
Any way I play a Gibson Epiphone Les Paul cherry sunburst (Jimmy Page) and have like 4 amps but really only use the Marshal MG15 whats your current set up?

Marz Nova:I am currently switching gear. On Kingdom Earth I used a Marshall JCM 900, Gibson SG Supreme and a Jackson Kelly. I have 2 Jackson Kelly's for live and I am thinking about picking up a couple of King Vs. I use a Traynor 100 Watt head and 4x12 Tranor Cab for live. I used a POD XT LIVE but am switching to a Roctron Prophecy II soon. On The new album (Evil Abounds) I used both a Krank and a 5150 head, and a Marshal 12x4 cab. I used a couple of Jacksons and a 1980 Les Paul Standard for axes.

Guitarstuff4U:  I had a friend that let me play his Charvel, the one with the Strat style body , had the tremolo system and all. Ever tried  a Charvel?

Marz Nova:  I had an 80s Charvel and Thor still splays one. Nice guitars.

Guitarstuff4U:  sounds like a damn sweet set up man, this has been so interesting to me having heard your new stuff, and now knowing what went into the songs...(this was where Marz informed me that what i heard was actually off the Kingdom Earth cd!  my bad Marz heh)

Marz Nova:  That is our debut album, that was released back in January. Kingdom Earth. No one's heard anything off of Evil Abounds yet.

Guitarstuff4U:  Marz I want to thank you for taking the time to talk to me and for accepting and answering my messages at Facebook!

Marz Nova:   No problem at all. Evil Abounds won't be released until first quarter 2012. I think you'll really dig it. Peace

  Every one who wants a copy of The Worshyp's new CD can get one in January at iTunes, Amazon.com (both physical & digital) Napster, Zune market as well as their web store  http://www.theworshyp.com
  I have to say I really dig their new T-Shirt, the design reminds me of concert T's from back in the late 80's.
If you havent ever heard The Worshyp, you can check out this video from their YouTube channel



You can also view this interview and more at Guitar-stuff-4-you.com just click on the link for Interviews-Reviews-Media in the "Music" section, see ya in the funny pages!

No comments:

Post a Comment

hostgator promo hostgator coupon